View Single Post
Old 27th May 2015, 01:19 PM   #3
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveS
Here for viewing is a Omani kattara with what looks to be a middle-ages style of crossguard. The blade is 32 inches long, and almost 2 inches wide at the widest point. It has a short shallow fuller and the point is rounded like a takouba. The blade is razor sharp and very flexible. There are marks on both sides (makers marks-?). The crossguard was absolutely fitted to the blade at the time everything was fitted together. the handle is wrapped with some kind of black tape. Except for the one style that has very short turned down quillens has anyone seen this type of guard on a kattara?............Dave

Salaams DaveS, I thought I had seen it all but your medieval theatrical sword is a star performer in this regard. As indicated by Iain this is a fit up with a strange European crossguard. I wonder what is under the masking tape... I think it is as a sword not a bad looking stage prop ....The blade marks look OK and appear to be a Cross and Orb and a Passau wolf commonly crudely inscribed with a chisel and mallet to Omani blades... This is an Omani Dancing Sword and I note very flexible ...It is therefor an Omani Sayf or Dancing Sword. The date of such blades is locked in to not earlier than 1804(Said the Great) and up to the current period.
Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 27th May 2015 at 02:42 PM.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote