Thread: Yemeni sword
View Single Post
Old 22nd August 2019, 08:03 PM   #32
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
Thank you Ibrahiim for adding your insights here to a thread which is great to see again. While they say a picture is worth a thousand words, with regard to study and discussion, it helps to know what is pertinent and what we are looking at.

The salient points of this thread were views toward the possible Bukharen connections between the Yemen and Bukhara via religious circumstances, as well as the architectural influences shared and as is often the case. It does seem that architectural features often influence decoration and motif in many cultures. In many cases these are stylized and had to adequately identify, especially for those outside the according spheres.

I recall many years ago when I saw swords identified as Bukharen which had the red backed silver banding on the scabbard similar to the examples I had seen designated as Hadhramauti. In later discussion the spherical and ovoid pommels became notable as perhaps connected.

As you say, more research well warranted!!!

Hello Jim, I was only just looking at the Yemen Bukharan connection and dug out this https://visainfodesk.com/po-i-kalyan...ra-uzbekistan/ where the Yemen provided the inspiration for a Great Mosque which has lasted as the main Bukharan Mosque for 500 years. Obviously with such a dignatory as this from Yemen the cultural and Religious ties must have been considerable however on the timescale this rules out certain aspects of the Sayf Yemaani ..The Old Omani Battle Sword.

The Yemeni link is important and the above reference states Quote" Mir-i Arab Madrasah (‘Arab emir madrasah’), which is still a functioning madrasah Islamic school, stands across from the mosque. The construction of the madrasah (1535 – 1536) was funded by Ubaidulla-Khan, Shaybani-Khan’s nephew. It was built for the sheikh Abdullah Yemeni, the spiritual mentor of the early Shaybanids. In order to build the madrasah, Ubaidulla-Khan had to sell 3,000 captive Persians he had as slaves. According to another source, he gave Abdullah Yemeni, Bukhara Islamic leader and his teacher, also known as Emir of the Arabs, all the loot from his raids to pay for the construction.''Unquote.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote