Thread: "Hippo ivory"
View Single Post
Old 16th May 2017, 03:36 PM   #9
mariusgmioc

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Marius, while it is often difficult to determine types of ivory from photographs alone there are distinct differences between the appearance of elephant and hippo ivories. I would tend to doubt traders would be able to pass one off for the other.
In regards to marine ivory, it has always been preferable to me for it's look and color. I was unaware that it commanded lower prices than either hippo of elephant ivory.
From all I know, there is a significant price difference between different types of ivory with elephant ivory being the most highly prized and marine ivory being the lowest prized. But then again, "marine ivory" is a generic term encompassing various types of ivory (narwhal, sperm whale, killer whale, etc), some more expensive than the others.

As far as I know, hippo ivory is very similar to elephant ivory and it can easily pass for it, unless you are really knowledgeable in the field. Moreover, some say it is superior in quality to the elephant ivory, thus it commands also rather high prices. Since I am by no means knowledgeable in this field, I base my oppinion more on what read and hear from friends, so this is nothing but a not so educated oppinion.
mariusgmioc is offline   Reply With Quote