View Single Post
Old 12th December 2004, 04:37 PM   #3
zelbone

Cool WAY COOL!!!

Nice tenegre/talibong you have there, Steve. Definately a fighting bolo. It looks pre-WWII, but I couldn't give you a more precise date. This looks like it could be from Negros since it doesn't quite fit the standard forms of Panay. The deity hilt is similar to the ones from Panay, but it also is quite different...a bit more absract. The mouth of the demon also lacks the double-set of fangs you normally would see on the demon hilts from Panay. The hilt looks like it was carved from Narra wood which is reddish in color...doesn't look like it's kamagong (Macassar Ebony) which would be more black. The scabbard also looks more Negros than Panay: the tapered toe, lack of leather at the throat, and the brass hanger. What I really like is that blade...long and slender! I just got another tenegre the other day with a long slender blade that moves like a dream. I almost didn't get it back when I showed it to Shelley !!!

The gunong looks about WWII vintage. I have a very similar one made in Tagaya, Lanao which I guess would make it Maranao. Earlier gunongs would have the luks forged into the blade. Your example (as well as my similar one) have luks that are more pointed and not as sinuous as the older forms. These were usually filed to shape rather than forged. The workmanship on the hilt is pretty typical of these gunongs and is well executed. The scabbard is definately a replacement, otherwise the metalwork on the scabbard would match the hilt. The scabbard with yours looks like the bands are made of aluminum, while the fittings on your gunong looks like its silver or nickel silver. I have the almost exact same replacement scabbard for actually the nicest gunong I have. It's funny, but the nicest gunong I have has the ugliest scabbard, while rest of my other gunongs which range from mediocre to somewhat exceptional all have nicer scabbards !
zelbone is offline   Reply With Quote