View Single Post
Old 24th December 2018, 04:07 PM   #1
Bill M

Default Is this a Singa Barong?

Having recently embarrassed a dealer by mentioning name, I am being cautious. Let me also state that I am not a dealer and plan not to be selling anything, though I have gifted a few people. Also, please, since I have had too many PM messages asking about sources to buy keris and dealers I have bought from. I am getting even chary about mentioning names in that I may open mouth and insert foot <grin>

Don't please ask, I don't tell. But specific questions about the keris, symbolism is dear to my heart and I will do my best to respond.

Looking over some articles on keris I saw one of my keris with a Singa Barong ( I think). I believe that most of Indonesia is Muslim with the exception of Bali (Hindu). And yet a type of Hindu symbol of the Singa Barong has been pictured on Javanese keris.

There seem a few other questions, what about the blumbangan? Is it somehow incorporated in a non-traditional way?

What with the extended sogokan?

Of course, the Muslim influence overlays a more primitive animistic religion. Seem the Indonesians just incorporate "new religions" over the old, existing.

Singa Barong is featured in the Balinese and the Batak. I have a few artifacts from Bali and the Batak. Are you interested and would this be appropriate in this or another Viking Forum?

I have an interesting Batak sword Piso n Datu (roughly 'Sword of the Magician) that I will try to find or take some new pictures. Of course any threads about this blade will be in another forum here.

I apologize for the images since we are at our country home and my studio with quality lighting is at our downtown Atlanta home.
Attached Images

Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote