View Single Post
Old 30th June 2020, 03:56 PM   #7
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey the Finn
As for references, I was about to write a list of proofs from personal experience, mostly of the post hoc, ergo propter hoc variety. The truth is, I made it all up, in much the same way the golok maker I'd planned to ship the lumber to imaginatively embellished the capabilities of his golok Nabi Mulud (among it's many other attributes, the guy said it could cut a tank. He didn't specify whether it was of the armoured fighting vehicle or compressed gas variety; either way, it's quite a claim to make). When a guy offers for sale a senjata bertuah like that, the last thing anyone with any sense does is ask him for proof it works. Asking for references, proof, or a demonstration didn't even enter my thought process. I missed out that year, but I asked him last November if he would be making any again. He didn't get back to me. And advice on exporting anything anywhere I don't need. I'm a compulsive hoarder, and I still have all my 1/72 scale "little army men" from when I was a kid (the complete sets. No missing mortars, no missing machinegun tripods). And all my cassette tapes from when I was a teenager. Even the ones I haven't listened to since then. I don't sell anything. Ever.
Let me be as clear as possible with you Mickey. This is an online collector's study group, not eBay or Facebook marketplace. You are not an online seller of golok or any other weapon or product here. If you are going to make claims (as you did) that a particular wood has spiritual/magical properties in the context of Indonesian keris culture you will most certainly be asked and expected to back up those claims with some kind of reference to your "research". And no, i do not mean proof that the use of such a wood actually has the spiritual/magical powers that you claim. What i was asking for are references that this is actually part of any belief system operating within Indonesian keris culture. Obviously this is not the case as you have just admitted to you made it all up. Sorry Mickey, perhaps you believe yourself to be clever and witty in this conversation, but i will not tolerate such nonsense and game playing on this forum. If you want to play deceptive games like this take it to some other forum. Otherwise you will find yourself back in moderated status again.
Until Anthony posted that nicely carved moose antler hilt this thread has had nothing whatsoever to do with keris. I do think that a thread related to the use of moose antler in modern keris hilts could be an interesting subject so i would like to encourage Anthony to start a new thread that actually focusses on this subject if it pleases him. But i will be locking this thread as it is clear that it has no good place to travel.