View Single Post
Old 30th June 2020, 02:30 PM   #6
Anthony G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey the Finn
Mr. Maisey, you've concisely provided just the information I was most concerned with: is it going to stand up to use as a keris hilt. And to think I was set on going the convoluted route of comparing Janka hardness and other arcane mumbo jumbo.

Mr. David, when roasted curly maple is cut with a dull bandsaw having too many teeth per inch, it becomes scorched, and gives off a pleasant fragrance. But consider for a moment the new moon; just because you can't see it doesn't mean it's not there, and exerting an influence on the tides . Just because you don't burn it doesn't mean it doesn't give off a fragrance. As for references, I was about to write a list of proofs from personal experience, mostly of the post hoc, ergo propter hoc variety. The truth is, I made it all up, in much the same way the golok maker I'd planned to ship the lumber to imaginatively embellished the capabilities of his golok Nabi Mulud (among it's many other attributes, the guy said it could cut a tank. He didn't specify whether it was of the armoured fighting vehicle or compressed gas variety; either way, it's quite a claim to make). When a guy offers for sale a senjata bertuah like that, the last thing anyone with any sense does is ask him for proof it works. Asking for references, proof, or a demonstration didn't even enter my thought process. I missed out that year, but I asked him last November if he would be making any again. He didn't get back to me. And advice on exporting anything anywhere I don't need. I'm a compulsive hoarder, and I still have all my 1/72 scale "little army men" from when I was a kid (the complete sets. No missing mortars, no missing machinegun tripods). And all my cassette tapes from when I was a teenager. Even the ones I haven't listened to since then. I don't sell anything. Ever.

Mr. G, I'd often wondered what material was used for such hilts. I'd like to get a nice kocet kocetan like that.

Hi, from my little knowledge; I think there are antler, ebony and also silver hulu made of Kocetan design.