Thread: Mahesa/Kebo
View Single Post
Old 9th June 2020, 09:18 PM   #1
David
Keris forum moderator

Default Mahesa/Kebo

I have always found myself drawn to Mahesa/Kebo keris, though i'm not really sure why. And so i have a fair number of examples of the various forms in my collection. But i am always receiving contradictory information about the particular names of the various dhapurs in these extra long gandik forms and i have run into some confusion in certain written texts. Not surprising i suppose, since that applies to just about everything to do with keris. LOL!
I collected this one fairly early on in my study of keris. It came to me sheathless, so i ordered a "blank" ladrang sheath which i then cut and filed the hole to fit the blade. I then stained and finished the sheath and sent the brass pendok out for a heavy silver plating. I tell you this mostly as explanation for the somewhat bad fit you can see in one photo where the blade is riding a bit high in the sheath. Anyway, it was a good learning experience on just what it takes just to fit a blade well. Though obviously not perfect it has served my needs nevertheless.
One thing i am interested in learning from this posting is how others here would name this dhapur. In Empu Djeno's notebook he has a a dhapur called Kebo Salurung that has multiple gajah lambe like this called Kebo Salurung, but his drawing shows no greneng. I've seen some refer to this as Kebo Teki, but i am unsure if that dhapur is supposed to have the multiple gajah lambe. To be clear, i am not necessarily looking for the "correct name" of this dhapur as much as a discusions, with perhaps some proper references to what others think it is called and why.
I am also interested in hearing what folks think about the origin/era of this blade. It came with this lovely, finely carved and pierced Surakarta yudowinatan hilt, though i do NOT believe the blade also has it's origins in Surakarta. It was suggested to me some time ago that Gresik might be a possible origin, though i believe that was only an educated guess. Any feedback on this would be appreciated. Thanks!
Attached Images

David is offline   Reply With Quote