View Single Post
Old 15th August 2005, 06:21 AM   #1
KrisKross

Default Question About SEA Armor

Hi, everyone. This is a great place!

To give you some background relevent to my question, I'm a martial artist, as many of you may be. I have, until recent health problems, practiced Kali (eskrima). I've been going back and forth with some folks on another board (for gamers) about the validity of using double weapons vs. a shield. I consider the second weapon helpful in defense (as well as attack). These people seem adamant that double weapon techniques only developed, and were found useful, in areas devoid of body armor (padded, leather, piecemail, etc.). They also seem to think that where a shield is availible it is always superior to two weapons.

Does that sound right to you folks? I can't find anything through Google, except brief descriptions of Burmese nobles wearing leather armor. I know the Moros wore armor, and I know that the Filipinos produced double weapon techniques, but I don't know if the Moros specifically did.

I know this isn't a martial arts board, but anything answering the above, or at least pointing me in the right direction would be helpful. I enjoy learning about bladed weapons from SEA, and all over the world. I have many books on the subject, but none of them mention any armor in that part of the world. The closest I can find is Indian armor. I have found a website that shows Moro armor, but I need to stengthen my case a bit more.

Thanks.
KrisKross is offline   Reply With Quote