View Single Post
Old 6th June 2014, 10:53 AM   #2
kai

Quote:
Here is my first keris, updated from the work I did this weekend. This particular one did not respond to the arsenic treatment especially, perhaps not at all. It did get a bit of definition by preparing it in vinegar for a week.
It certainly did respond to the treatment! It is well possible that more rounds of treatment will enhance the result. Also extensively polishing the blade by hand and subsequent etch/warangan will probably yield a somewhat better contrast (at the cost of considerable loss of metal). However, considering the average quality of the blade, I'd probably call it a day and keep it as is. Certainly a good addition to any starting collection!

Quote:
The keris was sold to me as a Keris Bali, does that seem accurate, and has the revelation of the pamor changed that possibility?
I don't think so. It's a fairly simple blade that never was intended to be up to kraton standards; still it shows decent features - I've seen much worse keris blades where a village smith was apparently working at his limits...

I don't see any hints that would suggest that this blade doesn't come from Bali (or the areas on Lombok ruled by Bali). Granted, there is a possibility that it might be E Jawa or even from the Bali expat community on Madura; these tend to come with different hilts though.

If you go by the quacking duck rule, this is a perfectly decent keris in Bali style and Bali fittings that probably once was owned by a not too poor farmer or other average populace.

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote