View Single Post
Old 24th September 2008, 06:35 AM   #5
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matchlock
I wanted to add that the habit of striking a mark or an ornament twice or three times is characteristic of Gothic and Renaisscance ironwork tradition, not only in weapons. It has to do with both stylistic reasons and the superstitious minds of those periods but was kept for long times after.

Matchlock
Outstanding observations Matchlock! I recall seeing various forms of marking triple stamped on many occasions on sword blades, and of course the number three seems to have key symbolic connotation in many cases. It seems that I have seen blades even with four stamps repeated (I believe it was a Wundes blade with four kings heads). In the case of hallmarks these were often stamped in groups with guild, maker, city together in a grouping, but it seems sometimes there were repeated stamps. Lots of notes on these markings and practices with them, but far from complete!

In recently reading through material concerning pattern welded blades there is often reference to snakes or serpents alluding to the imagery of the pattern seen in the blade. I wonder if that connotation might have been adapted into a symbolism for quality in the product, in this case the lance or pike head. Just a thought, and the origins and symbolism of the markings on weapons has always intriqued me. Whatever the case, these triple 'S' marks are deliberate, so certainly stand for something.

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote