View Single Post
Old 4th April 2010, 08:58 AM   #4
Richard

Hi Fernando
If I had to guess, I would say this is British from around 1810 - 1820. My hesitation comes from the fact that there is no obvious British insignia on the blade. Other observations are that the blade decoration looks typical of Solingen of the period and the truncated langets are quite unusual. I would very much doubt that it is French as the hilt lacks the normal ostentation of French swords and most French mamelukes had horn or ebony grips because the French didn't the access to Indian ivory that the British enjoyed.

As Jim says, this style of sabre became the height of fashion in Europe after the Egyptian campaigns of 1799-1802. It is said that hardly one French soldier came back without a souvenir mameluke sabre in his pack and I'll bet the same applies to the British as well. Judging from contemorary paintings of the period, their adoption in the British army was also far more widespread than many reference books would have us believe - both for dress and field usage. On the basis "if you can't beat them, join them", the mameluke sabre was adopted in official dress regulations in Britian in 1822.
Here is one of mine which was made by Prosser and dates from 1819-1821. It was carried by an officer of the 3rd Light Dragoons.
Richard
Attached Images

Richard is offline   Reply With Quote