View Single Post
Old 9th February 2010, 02:47 PM   #9
katana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantia
The first thing that struck me was how impressive the technological expertise involved with making a functional blade of that length was.
Man uz britz rock!
Hi Gene,
I agree, if the date for this sword is correct and it was used as a functional weapon the swordsmith whom forged this blade must have been extremely good. Bearing in mind the various qualities of iron available and the skill required to produce a long blade that could survive 'battle' conditions . ( weakness in the blade would be 'exagerated' due to the increased 'forces' imposed on it, due to its length).
Also, considering that it seems this is an early example, the knowledge and technique would, likely, be in its infancy.

Or should it be... G.B didn't exist then ............

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando
Dear David,
In a first reaction, i am more surprised to hear that two handed swords were already in use by the time of Edward III, than the length they have reached.
There is one with precisely 2,04 Mts in exhibition near my hometown, only being dated from the XV century. There is aother one in the Oporto Military Museum with a more "decent" lenght (1,68Mts) being dated mid XVI century.
Both appear to be operational, or at least they look rather plain are not quoted as cerimonial, something that seems to have happened at a later stage, when the specimens were more exhuberant.
Yor humble (and ignorant) servant.
Fernando
Hi 'Nando ,
thanks for your input, I was surprised at the number of 'two handers' that have survived. But, suspect the reason why this is so, is that these swords had a specific use which became 'redundent' ....and were later (possibly) 'adopted' as 'bearing swords' due to their impressive size.

...."humble"....yes ....."ignorant"....never ......"servant"....does that mean I can command you to send me your excellent collection ? My address is...

Best Regards David

Last edited by katana; 9th February 2010 at 03:01 PM.
katana is offline   Reply With Quote