View Single Post
Old 7th February 2010, 06:58 PM   #6
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Thank you so much Amuk, for identifying this implement.
After a couple browsings following Amuk's track, i have learnt that the staff must be held by the preacher while he delivers the sermon. This is an Islamic custom practiced all over, that goes back to Mohamed days.
It originates in values like a symbol of authority, an expression of superiority, availabity to punish and strike, power of judgement and so.
It makes an inseparable pair with the pulpit, both simbolizing al-‘ud ani,, or the two pieces of wood.
Apparently, soenda is spoken in Bali and Java; are you sugesting Amuk, that this staff is from such area, due to its characteristics?
So we can see, Ariel, that this thing has a purpose different from the Ya'd.
I too would love to know the basic Arabic name of this implement.
Thank you Gustav, for the diagnosis on the blade; i will register that. Concerning the silver work, probably you know much more than me about it, but i woul go for some more age, not excluding 19th century. I will try and get some appreciation by a local smith, at naked eye.
Thank you for the link on the Sangkuh, Henk. I remember this thread; but i wouldn't think this is such thing, judging by the input already posted here.
Fernando
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote