View Single Post
Old 2nd February 2010, 07:28 AM   #15
Gavin Nugent

Default Interesting and thank you!

Great input, thanks guys, me I have no specific knowledge of these items so I must take you word and learn the finer details of these pieces I am interested in and am enjoying the learning process.

It is not impossible that these pieces were collected from the regions you note as the original owner of the collection was well travelled. All I know is the pieces have been together and untouched for a very very long time and the collection is that of Northern Sumatra where the owner spent a lot of time.

Being a man of great vision who had an appreciation for ancient arts, his appreciation can can be seen when considering the rarity and variety in the collection such as the Panjang/Jawa marriage and other non Keris examples like an Akar Bahar hilt, Rhino hilt, wootz blade, an undocumented hilt style, scabbard differences and such things and some small gold inlay. Whether with help on the ground or by his own keen eye this was collected remains unknown, there are many unusual and unexplained facets as a whole and despite not dripping with gold or ivory it is an important grouping.

As the Panjang in general is noted as being of status and this hilt marriage rare, how would one deduct a reasonable theory behind its coming to be?
Perhaps bought or given to him by colleagues whilst the collection was being put together?
Through what other means such as trade or marriage could these pieces be found in the Northern Sumatran region?
What other provenanced or documented examples are there like these items?

Thanks in advance for a wonderful discussion.

Gav

Last edited by freebooter; 2nd February 2010 at 10:29 AM.
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote