View Single Post
Old 26th December 2009, 02:34 AM   #5
Dmitry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
On the evening of December 24,1914 in the freezing darkness of the trenches on the western front, it was noted by British observers that many of the Germans were lighting candles in lanterns. Although this clearly illuminated the enemy soldiers, the British refused to open fire ...it was Christmas.
Then even more remarkable, a British officer saw that the Germans were holding up small Christmas trees with lit candles......incredibly they were wishing thier enemies a Merry Christmas!!!

Within moments some of the German troops began caroling, and the chorus deepened as the voices up and down the trenches boomed with "Silent Night" in German, 'Stille Nacht, Heilage Nacht' !!
On both sides, boards were held up wishing the other side Merry Christmas.

One by one, soldiers threw down arms and jumped over the parapets on both sides, and joined each other in the bombed out no mans land, in mutual peace. There were common campfires lit, and the men all shared a single goal, the celebration of Christmas Eve.

Somehow it was agreed that no firing would take place until these celebrations had ended, and while this event certainly has many varying versions of the story, the fact remains that it did happen.
On the morning of December 26th, warning shots were fired in the air by both sides....the British officer and German officer who had exchanged gifts and greetings looked toward each other, respectfully bowed, and returned to their positions....and the tragedy resumed.

In that short time from that miraculous evening, humanity prevailed, and as I sit here on this Christmas eve, I think of our soldiers far away, and of all soldiers of all nations, and all faiths in all holiday celebrations........and wish with all my heart,for peace on earth, and goodwill to all, as on this night, and ever in hope that it may be so always......someday.
In my opinion, this episode was yet another sign of the hypocrisy of man. The next day they were gutting one another, and the next day, and for the next 4 years. Millions died, and for what?!

I wish you all a wonderful, HEALTHY Christmas, and a fruitful New Year.