View Single Post
Old 12th December 2009, 04:59 AM   #18
Nonoy Tan

Quote:
I would hate to see a small privately owned museum being handled by folks who may just turn around and walk out with the weapons...which is why I would definitely recommend to seek one of the larger well established museums for help. Generating any type of revenue would be tough as well...given the average price for entrance in to a museum can be anywhere from free to $2US(for adults). Just something to keep in mind.
I would hate to see the loss of the weapons, too. I believe that this is an issue that can be addressed by proper governance of the museum (by the Board of Directors), and control systems (by museum management).

The larger museums, I believe will help especially in providing technical assistance, and maybe having a seat in the Board if an ethnographic weapons museum is consistent with their objectives. Certainly, these larger museums also have weapons in their collections. However these are kept in storage ... maybe because it is not their focus and have to allocate limited resources to many other objects of historical and cultural importance.

Quote:
I agree, in principle. My main concern is security/preservation/maintenance.
Indeed, it is a major concern. I believe that is a function of professional management and governance... and of course, sustainability,i.e. having access to funds that will sustain the museum.
Nonoy Tan is offline   Reply With Quote