View Single Post
Old 2nd November 2009, 11:56 PM   #13
Dimasalang

Thanks all for sharing!

Following Miguels assessment. Agreed, the ethnic groups within the Philippines during this time were not truly separated. Transportation and traveling by boat was as common as flying now-a-days, and Manila(as it is now) was seen as a city of opportunity. Some of the revolutionary leaders were from other regions of the Philippines. Gen Jose Paua was full chinese, Gen Juan Cailles was half french and half indian(from India). Not to hard to believe a panday from the middle and southern regions may have worked his way up to Luzon. Pandays must have been in high demand during the time of the revolution and the Phil-Am war. Very interesting none-the-less.

Robert, interesting piece and history you got there. Not to go off on a tangent, but this reminded me of a sword I tried to attain a few months back. It was listed as a Manila sword and inscribed was the date and a persons name. That was all. I did my own research and found the person to be a sailor of the McColloch. The McColloch took a small part in the Battle of Manila Bay, but it was not a warship. After the battle, it was this ship that Aguinaldo and his Generals rode back on when they returned from self-exile from Hong Kong...for the longest time I thought they came back on the Olympia w/ Dewey. The date was a month or so after the battle of Manila, it was acquired during peace time. Given Aguinaldo and his generals were the only armed filipinos on board that ship, it led me to believe this had to be a sword that belonged to one of Aguinaldos generals. The sword was on the site for a good year and I was gradually saving up for it...once I had the funds I sent a email, the next day I got a reply and they just sword sold the sword two weeks prior.
Dimasalang is offline   Reply With Quote