View Single Post
Old 15th October 2009, 02:08 PM   #12
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Chris thank you for coming in on this, and for your valuable comments which are much appreciated in discussing this most interesting sword. Your observations in accord with those of Mr. Domenech very much secure the position that this short sword is not Argentinian, despite some of the admittedly superficial gestalt to the punal that I had noted.

In further looking over the weapon and the various elements of its motif and style, I keep returning to Gav's very astute comment of its resemblance in degree to the ancient falcata.

With consideration to the SAN RoqE inscribed in the blade motif, as well as the carved horn pommel cap in the form of a dog, carrying the theme of this important figure included in Spanish tradition, it would seem that traditionalism is key to this sword.

When the element of the Imperial double headed eagle is added to these features, its importance in Spanish heraldry seems to reflect Emperor Charles V or Charles I of Spain (1519-1556) and as this piece is obviously not of that period, perhaps suggests possibly Carlist (?) associations incorporated into the traditional themes seen here overall.

The sword is fashioned very much in the style of elegant cutlery and hunting trousse items, with the heavy repousse blade collar (which holds the vestigial knuckle guard chain attached to the pommel cap), resembling some of these in provincial pieces from Italy and Spain. As previously noted, the rounded choil is a feature sometimes present on the Meditteranean dirks, which this sword seems to reflect in gestalt.

What seems interestingly incongruent, and all the more intriguing, is the very Hispano-Moresque styling used in accord with the very traditional theme of the Cult of Saint Roch and the Holy Roman Empire eagle.

A beautiful weapon, completely intriguing with this mystery !!

Outstanding observations and discussion with Fernando's addition of information on the dog, the interesting twist Rick noted on the solar symbols, Gavs note on the falcata and of course the key comments of Mr. Domenech furnished by Lee and supported by Chris.

Having established that this seems to have been European and agreed to be 19th century, my comments are simply suggestions compiling notes on this swords features, and I hope to hear other views and perspectives on these as well.

The attached illustrations are of the ancient falcata; the Byzantine Imperial eagle; and of St. Roch and the dog carrying bread in his mouth.

All very best regards,
Jim
Attached Images

Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote