View Single Post
Old 15th October 2009, 06:06 AM   #10
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Cathey, I wanted to thank you for posting this here, and for joining us!!!
This short sword which as agreed seems to be a hunting weapon with profound Hispano-Moresque presence is indeed a fascinating and enigmatic piece. It is not at all surprising that something this unusual will bring many interpretations and perceptions as seen by various individuals, as it is in essence, art.

When I first saw this piece, and saw the attribution to Argentina, my first thoughts were of similar items vaguely recalled, and particularly to me, the rounded choil at the back of the blade, which reminded me of that feature in varying degree in some Argentinean punals. It seems that this is seen on some Meditteranean dirks as well, along with the ferrule in variant form which joins the blade and the handle at the blade back.

The octagonal handle, and ferrule, which is somewhat columnar, also seemed to well correspond to Meditteranean dirks.

The pommel cap with capstan is a feature on these dirks and it seems some punal from Argentina, but it seems that wide variation and features derived from European examples have become hard to discern, except of course for the experts in these weapons.

Now understanding that the SAN RoqE is probably in reference to this key figure in the history of Spain, which seems to correspond to the theme of this weapon with the dog on the pommel cap, holding the chain in his mouth. As Fernando has noted, this dog image is important with reference to this Saint. The town of San Roque is in Andalusian Spain, in the province of Cadiz, very near Gibraltar, though it is unclear whether that is important as to the region the sword is from or the SAN RoqE is to the swords theme.

The double headed or Imperial eagle is key in Spanish history as pertains to the coat of arms of Charles I (Carlos I) 1519-1556, who was elected Holy Roman Emperor in 1519, and I understand is considered the first Spanish king after the Reconquista. I am sure that is probably not entirely correct, but the salient point is his use of the Byzantine eagle.

This short sword I would suggest with reviewed information, may be a commemorative weapon fashioned for presentation to an esteemed figure as a diplomatic gift, as hunting type weapons often were. The San Roque theme along with neoclassic characteristics of the falcata,and Hispano-Moresque style as well as certain Meditteranean knife features seem to support this in some degree.

It does certainly seem of 19th century, and I would add even more to the conundrum by noting that Arab sa'ifs of the 18th and even into the early 20th century had these pommel connecting chains to quillon (while this is to the blade collar).

All best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote