View Single Post
Old 11th September 2009, 11:12 PM   #19
kai

Congrats, Detlef, that's a really good kampilan (and a bargain at that)!

The majority of kampilan I've seen did have hair decoration originally; thus, I'm less convinced that hair per se really denotes high status - especially considering that a lot of kampilan are thought to have been arsenal weapons used by the leader to arm warriors in case of battle. High-end and ceremonial kampilan seem to invariably come with hair decoration but the reverse doesn't seem to be necessarily correct. In this case, I don't think that the carving quality suggests a datu's personal piece or ceremonial usage.

I'd guess that this example is antique (hilt post Span.-Am war, possibly turn of the century?). The crossguard never had holes to attach any metal guards though which most of the really old (mid-19th c. or older) kampilan had originally.

I'd carefully clean the blade and give it a light stain to bring up the laminations. In temperate climates with low humidity, the wood benefits from additional protection: I'd be careful with mineral oil though (especially Ballistol which is alkaline) and prefer to apply a good hardening oil (based on boiled linseed oil, tung oil, etc.). Be careful to wipe off any excess oil and let it dry completely before repeating the oiling; topping off with some good microcrystalline wax if desired.

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote