View Single Post
Old 30th August 2009, 04:54 AM   #7
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Gav,
Great observation on this interesting linear motif, and it truly is amazing how widespread these simple symbols in similar arrangements are found. This is another reason I sense a certain European element to this piece. If I recall in earlier discussions, many of the huwiedao seem to have associations to Chinese martial artists, many of whom had considerable contact with various Europeans, and some other features seem somewhat European as well on a number of these.

I think in other context these simple symbols might have meaning, but in linear form on a backstrap it is more than likely motif. However, even in these applications, the implications remain.

Valjhun, thank you for adding Artzi's notes, which I am inclined to agree with.
It is great to hear of your collecting experience with yataghans, as frankly these are an extremely fascinating and complex sword form that seem to present more questions than answers! There seem to be so many paradoxes in identifying them.

Your experience is well represented in your note on the ivory, which suggests about two to three hundred years, exactly the time frame I was thinking of.
The blade clearly has been shortened, and seems of the type I have seen on European type yataghan blade swords, some in European officers swords of the pandour 'type' units, mostly Frei Korps, Grenzers and some still termed pandours. These were light units, often infantry, while von Trenck's and a number of others were pandours but mounted. Trenck was a hussar officer as were the commanders of some of the other similar units that succeeded Trenck.

The styling on the backstrap, as well as the heavy, almost mechanical, bolsters on the hilt, and especially the vestigial tunkou style bolster on the forte, all look European to me. At least they seem European trying to imitate Asiatic or Eastern appearance, much as the costumes and appearance of these irregular troops did, even to wearing scalplocks and exotic attire.
Yataghans were almost standard among the dismounted troops, while varying type sabres were used by horsemen and cavalry.

Charles Buttin noted that in fifty years of collecting, he had seen only the four or five examples pictured in the catalog of his collection (Rumilly, 1933), that could be attributed to von Trenck's troops. One of these pieces was sold at auction last year.
Since this particular subject is one very intriguing to me, I would very much like to know of other swords that could be attributed to Trencks forces.
I doubt that the yataghans used by the many other units following after disbandment of Trencks units could be identified, as they certainly were either actual Turkish or Balkan pieces...unless they were modified by European armourers as I sense this one might be.

In my opinion, the very fact that this even remotely might be something attributed to these notorious units is exciting indeed! That blade does in ways resemble the very early yataghan blades, but I think perhaps latter 17th century to earlier 18th , and I would look to your experience with these blades for better observations. Any details you would consider helpful would be great to better understand the earlier attribution.

All best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote