View Single Post
Old 29th August 2009, 11:54 PM   #5
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Thanks so much for responding guys!
This just seemed so bizarre I couldnt resist bringing it up. I've have had a fascination with anything out of the ordinary (go figure ! Interesting info on the 'fish hook version', Mark. It seems these innovative devices must have had lots of applications, and that one is really bizarre.
Sounds like an anti jaws device allright.

Museum of Historical Arms, now that being back memories from my earliest collecting days, and who can forget the Hoffmans. Hard to believe what those multicolor little catalogs go for these days.....I still have a pile I believe of a few at least. For many years they were the essential reference for identification....obviously there were some pretty blatant error, but based on what was known at the time.......this was pre-Ethnographic Sword Forum

You're right Kronckew, a load of this shrapnel was pretty much like the bouncing betty of the time. I would hope they didn't forget to disarm this thing for daytime mourning visits though...or the cemetery would be having a few more unexpected guests.

Stu, I was intrigued by the name W.W. Greener, the famed maker of the English 'guage'......thinking of one of John Wayne's immortal lines in "True Grit"..."...gimme the Greener!". Sounds like they also made the security alarm systems of the time.

All best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is online now   Reply With Quote