Thread: Real Muramasa?
View Single Post
Old 29th July 2009, 07:20 PM   #11
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Thank you Simon for sharing that story. I always enjoy hearing about others adventures in collecting, as I know I always enjoy recounting my own. Somehow it just seems to add real dimension to this passion we all pursue.
I can well imagine the precautions one would understandably insist upon with such an incredibly valuable and legendary swords.

I once met one of the travelling appraisal company's while in Nashville, after going to the hotel location where they were set up. In asking questions, the obviously in charge appraiser only spoke in Japanese through a translator. I had brought a photo of a Korean sword to ask about it and his expression quickly tightened as if he was almost offended by looking at it. The translator indicated he had no idea what 'that' sword was, and I almost wish I could have known what he really said. I had forgotten that Japanese/Korean relations had not traditionally been the best.

I was shown however some of the swords that had been acquired that day, and one which looked remarkably new, was said to be 500 years old. In seeing the well patinated tang the contrast was amazing.

Thanks again Simon,
All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote