Thread: Day To Night
View Single Post
Old 22nd July 2009, 10:05 PM   #13
ganjawulung

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
When we consider the history of Jogjakarta we sometimes tend to forget that but for the intervention of the Dutch in a family quarrel, there would be no Sultanate of Jogjakarta, thus, by any reasonable measure, it could be considered that the rulers of Jogjakarta owed their position as Sultans of the new (1755) Sultanate of Jogjakarta to the Dutch. It never does pay to get involved in family quarrels, because what followed the Treaty of Giyanti and Dutch endorsement of the newly created ruler was the demonstration of gratitude for Dutch support in the form of concerted efforts by the Sultans of Jogjakarta to oust the Dutch from the whole of Jawa.I feel myself that the Dutch were to a degree hoist on their own petard:- they attempted to apply the dictum of divide and conquer, and for once their superior skills in manipulation and deception did not pay off.
Dear Alan,

I don’t think the past fact of Yogyakarta is as simple as that. And if you don’t mind, let me clarify this statement from different view. Let’s ‘listen’ to what Dr Soekanto – an Indonesian historian but got his doctorate degree in the Netherlands – had said in his book, “Sekitar Jogjakarta 1755-1825” published by Mahabharata Djakarta (1952) and also an Amsterdam publisher – for instance. IMHO, the division of Mataram and the Civil war in Java in mid 18th century to 19th century began with the Dutch policy of “divide et impera” or divide and rule…

About the cause of conflict -- it all began (according to Dr Soekanto) around 1745. Susuhunan (the attribute of this King of Mataram in Solo or Surakarta) Paku Buwana II announced to whoever able to ‘extinguish’ the “kraman” (rebellion) of Raden Mas Said and Martapura – will get Sukawati region, in the eastern part of Surakarta.

(Raden Mas Said was the son of Pangeran Adipati Mangkunagara – the eldest son of the late Amangkurat IV, king of Mataram (1719-1725). And Paku Buwana II was the 10th son of King Amangkurat IV).

Raden Mas Said rebelled against King Paku Buwana II and Oost-Indische Compagnie (the multi-national company of East India, headed by the Dutch), because PB II and the Dutch had expelled and exiled Adipati Mangkunagara – the eldest son of Amangkurat IV – to Ceylon, in order to be able to appoint PB II as King of Mataram, although he was not the eldest son, but the 10th son of Amangkurat IV.

The Compagnie had a commercial interest in getting the agricultural crops and products from Java, so they preferred to appoint PB II as King of Mataram, although PB II was only 16 years old. The exile of Mangkunagara the eldest son of Amangkurat, believed to be the result of a defamation by the PB II's entourage. Mangkunagara was slandered, acting dishonest to the young wife of PB II. Mangkunagara then was exiled to Ceylon, with the help of the Compagnie…

Extinguished the Rebellion

Pangeran Mangkubumi – the number 20th son of Amangkurat IV, was known as a brave warrior. He then defeated and extinguished the rebellion of Raden Mas Said and Martapura. But unfortunately, the young king of PB II denied the promise – to give Sukawati region as a reward for extinguishing the rebellion.

Pangeran Mangkubumi was very disappointed, and then made “kraman” (rebellion) and even joined with Raden Mas Said and Martapura, against the Dutch Compagnie and King PB II.

In the year of 1747, King PB II fell ill and made a treaty with the Compagnie to give all the sovereignity of Mataram to the Compagnie. The treaty said in javanese language (Dr Soekanto also print the original treaty in Javanese, with all the signatures), as “awit saking sangete gerah kawula” (because of my grave illness), “paparentahan Karaton Matawis punika sarta sawewengkonipun sadaya… kahaturaken dumateng Kumpeni…,” (the Governance of Karaton Mataram and all the sovereignity … offered to the Compagnie…) King PB II then died of his illness, in 1749. And replaced by King PB III, the 3rd son of PB II.

The rebellion was so vast, and Pangeran Mangkubumi conquered much of Mataram sovereignity in many parts of Java. Then, came the Salatiga treaty on 4th of November 1754. King PB III and the Dutch Compagnie surrendered half of Java – except the northern coast area and Madura – to Pangeran Mangkubumi.

And it happened, the division of Mataram by the next treaty of Gianti in 1755. Only between Pangeran Mangkubumi and the Compagnie – on behalf of Mataram Kingdom and PB III. Half of Mataram was in the hand of Pangeran Mangkubumi, except northern coast of Java and Madura. Then, Pangeran Mangkubumi established a new kingdom of Yogyakarta and became the first king of Yogyakarta, with the formal title of Sultan Hamengku Buwana I since 13rd of February 1755…

On Division of Mataram, pls see this too http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...=GIANTI+TREATY

Please forgive me, for wasting your time and space for this humble explanation…

GANJAWULUNG

Last edited by ganjawulung; 22nd July 2009 at 10:24 PM.
ganjawulung is offline   Reply With Quote