Thread: Cirebon hilt?
View Single Post
Old 30th April 2005, 01:21 PM   #4
tuancd

HI everyone
Thank you BluErf for this post. It pushes me into the work I’m doing at the moment.
Let’s share with all of you the little knowledge I’m trying to put in order…

As Rasdan say, this type is from the north coast of java ("pasisir" comes from “pasir”: sand and literally means coast and commonly “north coast of java”). This style is more the eastern style of the coast (from Tuban – Surabaya – Pasuruan). You can feel by the design that it is close to the Madura style.
In my opinion, the java deman style comes from java and has evolved to the one of Sumatra. But if you look close to the different styles you can see that according the region the java deman looks sometimes closer to a Garuda and sometimes looks more like the human shape slightly bent forward. For the Malay one, It’s most of the time the garuda type with the high crest (pic 1) . For Sumatra it depends if it comes from Lampung, Palembang, Jambi or else. That’s the richness of the different styles that makes it exiting.
If you take the so-called Rakshasa in the following picture (pic 3) you can notice that the arm goes through the chest like in the java deman. Seated on the throne the legs are bended like on the java deman (pic 4) of course in this one the legs are more abstract than on the rakshasa.
Then the crest is it one like in pictures 1 and 4 or is it an evolution of the garuda munkur like in pic 6.
Still a lot of interrogations…
I’m sure a lot of you will have to talk about that, be my guest… I mean BluErf's guests
Attached Images

tuancd is offline   Reply With Quote