Thread: Zaghnal
View Single Post
Old 20th May 2009, 04:20 PM   #23
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sikh_soldier
Thanks Rick and Jim, for making me feel better and also Katana for defending my reputation

But it gets worse.....I am a Law Graduate, and one of my electives was Intellectual Property Law (Trademarks and Copyrights) so I really should have known better!

To add something to the discussion, as you may already know, in indian languages definately punjabi, urdu and hindi, The letter J and Z are interchangeable in some words so that is probably why you get Zaghnal written sometimes and other times Jaghnal.

For example a very important Sikh Gurdawara (temple) is called Sri Hazoor Sahib, but also called Sri Hajoor Sahib, and both are correct.

Hi Bally,
You truly are a good sport as well. Thank you for sharing the note on your studies in copyright law!
It is funny that it is not unusual for someone in a profession or well studied in a particular field to sort of drop ones guard. I was a gate agent for a major airline for nearly 40 years, and we often joked among ourselves that we were often our own worst passengers..late for flights etc. I recall one harrowing day when I somehow managed to board an entirely full planeload of people on the wrong airplane!! Incredibly, I was able to cover it by announcing there was a problem with this plane but we fortunately had another standing by!!
No one was ever the wiser until I confessed years later, and since no delay or problems occurred it was never an issue.

Thank you for the explanation on the interchangable letters z and j. It does seem that in the English language there are instances between British and American spelling interchanging the z with an s on occasion as well.
Also, though I am presuming, is the co-authors name with Dr. Pant on the title mentioned by Anandalal, Mr. Agrawal, a Sikh surname? If so, perhaps this may explain the spelling, jaghnol, since it would seem this author has added the weapon to the forms discussed.

All the very best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote