Thread: Keris golok?
View Single Post
Old 25th April 2009, 09:25 AM   #23
Jussi M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Jussi, i am not in disagreement with you here.
So perhaps you could share with us your ideas of WHY, WHERE and WHEN this particular dhapur was developed. Let the music play.
Sorry David, cannot participate in that.

I like music. I am not a musician. Simple truth is I have no idea whatsoever but I would like to educate myself. That is why I joined this forum. To learn. I am very new to the keris but not new to learning. In fact that is what I do for a living: teach. And, it is my professional opinion as a teacher that the more terms and names used to describe a thing new to the student the more elusive learning becomes. - Add too many trees and it becomes difficult to see the forest. What comes to terms and names less is always best.

Excessive, overlapping and ill-defined terms should be avoided as they add more confusion than aid in understanding what is being discussed about

The first and foremost foundational purpose of any given body of theory is to clearly define what is meant by each given term as then and only then it becomes possible to understand what is being meant when those terms are used in the exchange of information.

In my opinion all terms that are not clearly and broadly accepted and shared within the keris community (which should be defined first, see what I mean?) should not be used as it only adds to confusion, misunderstanding and makes learning the more difficult. The use of vague, overlapping and elusive terms is in my opinion a clear mark of a need to impress others and hide the fact that one really does not understand what one is talking about.

The highest form of skill and understanding in any field of expertise is to be able to simplify and make things easily understandable to those who are less trained, read and experienced. Usually the more skill and understanding a person has the more easier and common, less terms infested, language he or she will use.

Thanks,

J.
Jussi M. is offline   Reply With Quote