View Single Post
Old 9th April 2009, 08:28 PM   #9
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Mark,
I agree, that reference is way pricey!!! and I do hope it comes down some. What always worries me is sometimes these limited run ventures end up going the other way. I remember when David Harding was writing "Small Arms of the East India Company" which turned into a 4 volume set. I think it started out at a couple of hundred but now the full set is as high as 2000. The most expensive thing I ever bought was "Armi Bianche Italiene" by Boccia & Coelho @ about 450.....I literally almost put that thing to bed every night and trust me, it wasn't easy to smuggle into the bookmobile!

I think the great thing about Pitt Rivers is that they typically have the items so well provenanced and catalogued. The information included is in my opinion pretty priceless, and I would reference by them. ...here's the part where somebody reading this jumps out and announces an error they found in some reference by them .
Actually I would love to visit all the museums there in England with all the incredible documentation they hold in addition to the wonderful collections.

On the research...I've still got projects and notes I've been dragging around for ten years or more....just add to them when something comes up, and it does, when you least expect it, where you least expect it.

Its always great to see you posting, and I know how busy things get.....but the stuff you add is always remarkably pertinant!!! fire for effect!!!

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote