View Single Post
Old 18th March 2009, 02:48 PM   #5
M ELEY

Hello Michael and thanks for posting,
Ouch! Well, I do see your points when it comes to this axe. I know there have been a flood of axes resembling boarding axes lately that fit the general characteristics, but end up being fire or factory axes. This piece we are discussing does resemble mine closely, but with mine in hand, there are differences. My axe's blade does flare more, does appear to be a well-made forged piece and the spike, although straight, comes to a deadly point. It's haft isn't painted black, but has an old red staining. As previously stated, its piened to the haft, no screws. I think that it could be the real deal (mid-late 19th c.), but in the so called (and definately unstudied/un-researched) private purchase axes.
My axe's blade is more flared, like the French hach de bord, which as I recall, also had thicker heads such as this. Believe me, I DON"T want to hear I paid a high price for a modern fire axe, so I hear what you're saying, as painful as it is. I'm still out to lunch on this one, but hope to do more research and perhaps find some more info over time.
In the mean-time, I do wish someone out there would write/research about so called 'private purchase" sea swords and axes. This area is ripe for the picking and I'd love more info on this "shady area" of maritime collecting (Gilkerson has one page with 4 swords dedicated to this area. Love his book, but wish he had more). Thanks!

Last edited by M ELEY; 19th March 2009 at 03:22 AM.
M ELEY is offline   Reply With Quote