Thread: DURGA Hilt?
View Single Post
Old 1st January 2009, 01:18 AM   #3
ganjawulung

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVV
I don't think that's a hilt usually seen in Cirebon?

Michael
I don't know, Michael. But at least I saw two more hilts such like this in the Pesta Rakyat Cirebon last week. They called such hilts as "gendheng permoni hilts". (I myself got two hilts such like this from Cirebon and Banyumas (south of Cirebon) area in the past...

"Gendheng Permoni" known as a goddess in Wayang world. A very beautiful goddess with "bad" manner. She wished to be Bathara Guru's (the highest god in Kahyangan or Heaven Kingdom) wife. But Bathara Guru only took Permoni's beautiful body as his wife, while he exchanged Permoni's soul/spirit with Dewi Uma's.

Previously, Dewi Uma was cursed by Bathara Guru -- to become a "raseksi" (female giant creature) after Uma refused to make ... with Guru, while they were riding "lembu Andini" or sacred buffalo of Andini.

The "raseksi's" (the giant Uma's body) with Permoni's soul, then called as Bathari Durga. While beautiful Permoni's body with good-mannered Uma's soul, as Dewi Umayi. Only Permoni's body, became Sang Hyang Bathara Guru's wife. And not Permoni's soul...

GANJAWULUNG

Last edited by ganjawulung; 1st January 2009 at 09:05 AM.
ganjawulung is offline   Reply With Quote