Thread: A Berber saber?
View Single Post
Old 27th November 2008, 07:17 PM   #53
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

In reviewing examples and text in "Spanish Military Weapons in Colonial America" (Brinckerhoff & Chamberlain, 1972, p.78), I am increasingly convinced that these 'Berber sabres' are of a general form of 'machete' found in the Spanish Colonial sphere. These have been a mystery since they appeared well over a decade ago in collections, and classified as Berber, from Spanish Morocco.
I found it puzzling years later as more were found, and at times these were in Mexican collections. With the suggestion that they might be Philippine, we looked to surrounding regions as well.
These examples, as the one shown by Teodor, and earlier by Valjhun, have been considered possibly as far as Philippines for provenance, but it does seem that Caribbean, ports in Gulf of Mexico, and other areas of the 'Spanish Main', trade ports into Central and South America included may be possibilities. This may account also for the simple hilt form, to the more familiar type with lanyard type opening.

In Brinckerhoff & Chamberlain, one with similar hilt and a sabre blade, which appears cavalry sabre type with blade in spear point shape, is identified as of 19th century. It is shown with another that has the almost straight Collins & Co. (Hartford,Conn.) blade and similar hilt, who produced many machetes in latter 19th century (op.cit. p.78).

Many of the examples of these that I have seen have M1796 British light cavalry sabre blades, with the 'hatchet' tip curiously profiled into one with a point radiused down and around. This curious tip profile has always reminded me of the kampilan swords of the Philippines, and I have often wondered if there could be a connection. In considering the sphere we are considering for these weapons that of Spanish Colonial trade routes, it does seem plausible that the shape might reflect that influence, but this is simply an untested suggestion.

One of these I had was with the clearly recognized British M1796 blade, and near the forte stamped 'MANU..' probably a stamp from importer? and the scabbard of the style with perpandicular appendage, which seemed to be a hold for withdrawing the weapon. The hilt was profoundly decorated with inlay and seemed very decorative for a machete, which suggested a form that could have come from the Moroccan regions, also considered at outer perimiter of the Spanish sphere.

In earlier considerations, we often wondered why, if this was a Moroccan weapon of some presence, was it not included in weapons groupings of collections. Perhaps, this might have been a high grade example of the more pedestrian machete from colonial regions to the west? and as more of a 'tool' not included with familiar weaponry?

Just thoughts after rereading this interesting thread from some time ago, and really glad to keep the case open!

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote