View Single Post
Old 12th November 2008, 04:53 AM   #15
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Valjhun,
Thank you for the additional photos, and I'm very interested in the reference you note "Ubojite Ojstrice". This is one I'm unaware of, can you specify more. There are mostly very unspecific references made to schiavona in most western works in English, and I have not seen illustrations of the examples in the Doges Palace. What would be most interesting would be those said to belong to the 'Council of Ten' (Consiglio dei Deici), which are inventoried as items G289-587. These supposedly have pommels marked with CX, for that council which existed from 1310-1797.

It is unclear exactly when these swords appeared, particularly in the distinctive trellised or basket type hilts that are now well known as schiavona, however a 1548 inventory reference to a 'spade schiavonesche' is noted. With trade between Dalmatia and Venice pronounced in those times, many of the Croatians lived in the Castello district. Their presence as soldiers in the Doges forces was well known, especially in the ranks of his bodyguards with whom the schiavona itself is most associated.

It seems that most examples of the most commonly found forms are considered of 17th and 18th century, and there seems a great deal of speculation and debate on the development of these varied hilts. Oakeshott has classified them in some degree, and the simpler guard with fewer but soundly connected bars is in category type 1. Others are with more complex trellis baskets (gitterkorb), but since chronological periods are not denoted it would seem that many were contemporary to each other.

I have seen notes that the brass hilts do seem to be prevalent on the earlier examples, and that examples of c.1781 often bear the ownership mark of the Venetian Republic, which I am presuming is possibly in the cartouche on the hilt of your sword. This would probably be the winged lion of St. Mark, which is the symbol of Venice (interestingly in heraldic terms its position is emblematic for council).

I am inclined to think tentatively that your sword is likely 18th century, and seems in pretty good shape, but with good signs of age in the right places. The 'genoan' mark is actually only associated with that center and widely copied not only by other blade making centers in Italy, but of course in Germany, and others. Without further research thats all I can say at this point on it.

Again, this is a remarkably fine example of these increasingly rare swords, and as I have noted, I am inclined to prefer the simple fighting examples, especially intact and reflecting sound age patination.

All best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote