View Single Post
Old 6th November 2008, 11:48 PM   #11
Gavin Nugent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark
I hate to be a wet blanket (and I hope I am wrong), but what is with the wobbly surface of the blade? It looks almost as if it is made of thinner metal and hollow, and suffered a few dings. The seven plugs or rivets through the blade add to my concern, as they appear to be more substantial and protruding than the typical "seven stars" inserts. I would be surprised to see such a thing connected to that lovely dragon guard, but the more I look at the blade the more I wonder.
Thanks Chris, Mark, Josh and Vandoo.

Mark, the wobbly surface? Hollow? Dings? I do hope you are wrong too. The spine looks very thick to me and I cannot see the issues you speak of, only a partial clean to parts of the steel.
I have seen so many different seven star configurations and I must say in my view, the usual plain brass inlay would look largly out of place and plain in my eyes and these stars seem to carry the more flamboyant theme that is consistant with the grand Qianlong Dynasty, more consistant with the flamboyant dragons head too.
I would be interested with regards to the seven star inlay to have comparison images made available to further inversigate, it just can't get here quick enough.

Josh I too don't think I'll see a reign mark but within the brass dragon or haft fittings, I may be surprised...
Royal or military displays do come to mind with this piece, I can visualise guards standing with their arms out stretched and these blades towering above them.

G'day Vandoo, thanks for coming in too. I too get caught in moments of HollyWood and old Kungfu movies when I see something like this.
I will tell more of it's possible practical nature when I get my hands on it, although it does look oversized, looking at the size of the haft, I do wonder if it better balanced than what first glances indicate and looking at the area where the tang is situated, it looks as though there could neary be a foot of steel inside that shaft so it may even be able to deliver a blow,not that I plan on knocking against anything...though I may just take in into the back yard and swing it wildly for a few minutes to get it out of my system.
I aggree that it is not a weapon of war and thanks for the congrats.

regards

Gav
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote