View Single Post
Old 5th November 2008, 07:52 PM   #30
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

This continues to be a fascinating discussion, and well so as this is truly a fascinating piece. While I think we all pretty much agree on its approximate date or period, the question remains whether it was intended for the hunt, or was it a fancy piece of cutlery for serving at lavish events.

I feel that the elaborately profiled point is aesthetically intended, though my mention of the fishing knife feature was to illustrate that deliberate features similar did exist on other sporting edged weapons.

As far as the scabbard, I did find a single example of serving knife, nowhere this elaborate, which did have a scabbard, but for the most part it does not seem these were with serving cutlery.
Also, concerning the talismanic magical markings, Blackmore ("Hunting Weapons" op.cit. p.41) notes, concerning these magical markings on blades, that "...it had to possess some mystical quality to spur him on to greater deeds or to bring him luck. On many hunting sword blades therefore, magical signs or numbers are engraved for this purpose".
It is discussed that these astrological or 'magical' signs appear to have evolved from the calendar or zodiacal inscriptions on hunting blades that were relied on to insure good fortune and protection in the often dangerous hunts. Eventually, the gentry, often also serving as officers in military regiments, began to adopt these symbols in similar context on thier sword blades.

With this feature on this blade, it is difficult to imagine why such talismanic protection would be required on a serving knife or cutlery, unless it was simply to reflect that seen on hunting weapons as a gift for an especially enthusiastic hunter. If this was a presentation or gift, as somewhat being considered given the decorative chain and scabbard, this might be the explanation.

All best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote