View Single Post
Old 31st October 2008, 01:55 AM   #7
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by celtan
Howdy 'Nando and Jim,

I already tried Jean Binck, last time I asked him about it he didn't know. But he liked my suggestion that the former owner had removed the blade's tip, perhaps after stabbing his own buttocks in the upward swing once too many.

The russians were keen on using this shape of blade also, as well as the persian shamshirs.

Manolo

Check this pics from a british 18th C blade...

Wow! Thats a nice one too Manolo! This is a 'spadroon' type hilt (a very confusing term usually applied to straight blade sabres for infantry officers about 1780 with these neoclassic type hilts) which is mounted with a M1796 light cavalry 'hatchet point' sabre blade (but much more parabolic than standard). I have often wondered if there was some unofficial move for British officers putting these sabre blades on the established hilts which usually had straight blades.
I once had one of these c.1780 hilts which should have had the usual straight cavalry blade of 1780's (heavy cavalry) and had a curved sabre blade on it.

I have seen Scottish basket hilts mounted with M1788 light cavalry blades as well, so it would seem that officers may well have had thier armourers mount these curved blades at thier whim, which was pretty standard in those rather flamboyant times.

You're right, Russian officers too would often yield to fashion oriented exuberance in weapons, and the Persian shamshir was a weapon admired by anyone who had exposure to them.

The tip on your sabre seems 'rebated' or rounded, which is a standard alteration intended to widen the end of the blade for slashing cuts. This is often seen on Omani kattara and Tuareg takouba which characteristically have these points.

It seems to me both you and 'Nando have got amazing collections, and we're lucky to have you guys sharing things here. Thank you so much!!

All the best,
Jim

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 31st October 2008 at 02:44 AM.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote