Thread: Polish gorget
View Single Post
Old 21st October 2008, 08:00 PM   #4
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hello Akoch,
First of all I'd like to say welcome to this forum, and thank you for the interesting post on this gorget. I have been watching this with interest hoping that there would be some input or discussion on these elements of armour. As I do not have any great knowledge in this field, I wanted to at least make a few notes on this item. After the great thread we have had on lancers, the subject of the famed Winged Hussars of Poland seems well placed and this gorget brings more interest to the fore.

In "Polish Winged Hussars 1576-1775" (Osprey, R.Brzezinski) it is noted that these hussars often had burnished or blackened armour to prevent rust, and that both steel surfaces as well as brass fittings seem crude from close up. While the hussars were typically from the Polish gentry, it is suggested that the 'pacholiks' or ranks to the rear, wore similar gear, but of lesser quality though certainly functionally protective.

It would seem that while colorful illustrations and artwork portraying these hussars show magnificent armour, and pageantry with long lances, flowing pennons, leopard skin cloaks and of course, the significant wings mounted on the hussar himself, that perhaps actual appearance of these forces on campaign may have been more pragmatic.

This gorget, seems to be rather in line with rank and file quality, and though there are questions of consistancy with some indicators of age on the piece, I am wondering if either cleanup or 'restoration' prior to auction might account for these factors. Naturally hands on examination would reveal tool marks etc. and polished or cleaned brass makes assessment by photo almost impossible.

The style, with the brass knights cross (though workmanlike) and the scalloped borders seem consistant with gorgets and cuirass of the 17th century seen in museum example photos.

Best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote