View Single Post
Old 23rd September 2008, 03:38 PM   #12
Atlantia

Quote:
Originally Posted by celtan
Hi Guys,

I really don't have time to search for data in my books on the subject, but as Jim knows, I love these beasties. I also enjoy the rare opportunity to handle them at the local museum deposits. Please excuse any gaffe that I may committ by writing sans references. These are my two bits:

First: I love how this sword looks, it seems to exude History.

That being said, the bilobate shell-guard is not as deep as that found in the Spanish 1728, it seems somewhat "flatter". It's attachment is completely different to any I have previously seen.

The blade is beautiful, but is more rapier-like than the " a tres mesas" broad no-nonsense blade, utilitarian and characteristical of this type. The only things in this sword that truly look spanish to me are the grip and the pommel.

I seem recall that there are some swords called "espadas del viejo modelo" that were forerunners to the 1728, but they usually held the pas-de-ane to the guard with only two screws. This one seems to have a variation of the four screws "boca de caballo" plate without actually being one...

The attachment itself is via four bolts, instead of the four traditional spanish slotted-head screws so typical of the 1728. Then, many earlier spanish swords used bolts.

My take on this sword is that it is either a forerunner of the M1728, or more probably a beautiful period high-quality variation made by a foreign armourer following the spanish style, so much in vogue across Europe, Asia, Africa, America, and some say even Oceania...

Congrats Gene!

Best

Manuel Luis

BTW: The Sahaguns were Toledo armourers, father and son.
Thanks for all your thoughts on this one Manuel,
I always assumed that 'SAHAGUN' was Solingen in pig-latin! I just googled it to try and find more info about your family of smiths and now I see that it's also a town in Spain!!
Thsi thread really is going to be an education for me.
I'm going to do some more research on all the information that everyone has provided so far and try and get 'up to speed' for later today ;-)
Thanks again
Gene
Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote