View Single Post
Old 23rd September 2008, 03:40 AM   #11
celtan

Hi Guys,

I really don't have time to search for data in my books on the subject, but as Jim knows, I love these beasties. I also enjoy the rare opportunity to handle them at the local museum deposits. Please excuse any gaffe that I may committ by writing sans references. These are my two bits:

First: I love how this sword looks, it seems to exude History.

That being said, the bilobate shell-guard is not as deep as that found in the Spanish 1728, it seems somewhat "flatter". It's attachment is completely different to any I have previously seen.

The blade is beautiful, but is more rapier-like than the " a tres mesas" broad no-nonsense blade, utilitarian and characteristical of this type. The only things in this sword that truly look spanish to me are the grip and the pommel.

I seem recall that there are some swords called "espadas del viejo modelo" that were forerunners to the 1728, but they usually held the pas-de-ane to the guard with only two screws. This one seems to have a variation of the four screws "boca de caballo" plate without actually being one...

The attachment itself is via four bolts, instead of the four traditional spanish slotted-head screws so typical of the 1728. Then, many earlier spanish swords used bolts.

My take on this sword is that it is either a forerunner of the M1728, or more probably a beautiful period high-quality variation made by a foreign armourer following the spanish style, so much in vogue across Europe, Asia, Africa, America, and some say even Oceania...

Congrats Gene!

Best

Manuel Luis

BTW: The Sahaguns were Toledo armourers, father and son.

Last edited by celtan; 23rd September 2008 at 01:48 PM.
celtan is offline   Reply With Quote