View Single Post
Old 22nd September 2008, 12:54 PM   #4
Atlantia

Thumbs up

Wow Jim,
Thanks for kicking this discussion off mate!
I'm still trying to absorb all the information and implications of what you've written!
Is it possible to scan and add some pics of the examples you mention? I can't picture that pattern, so when you talk about M1728 I can't help but think 'Isn't that a galaxy in the constellation Andromeda?' ;-)

Seriously though, I can see that this thread is clearly going to be a serious education for me. I'm not sure now what I'm hoping for when it comes to a definative ID on this sword, but I guess I am hoping to ID it beyond any doubt.
Do you recognise the flowers? Do you think there is any relevance to them, or just randomly chosen decoration?

Regards
Gene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
Atlantia, this piece is fantastic!! Actually when we talked and you spoke of a 'bilbo' I was thinking of an entirely different sword, those considered to be the M1728 (described in numerous works on Spanish weapons, with some dissent on the application of that model date, but military swords used into the 19th c.).
In checking "The Rapier and Small Sword" by the esteemed A.V.B.Norman (London, 1980, p.156) hilt #82 is very much like this sword, though the example has up and down turned quillons, and the pommel is quite different. Norman describes the example with wide range 1660-1795, leaving assessment of your example to the variation in elements.

The term 'bilbo' is often misleading and confusing, and though it is typically regarded as a Victorian collectors term probably derived from the term bilobate (which these asymmetrical shell guard swords are), it seems to have been applied to Spanish swords as early as Shakespeares time. In "Merry Wives of Windsor" the term 'bilbo' refers to a fine sword, however it is used in a metaphoric context.

I would consider this sword a 'bilobate' rapier, and it seems the faceted pommel has been described as mid 18th century I believe attributed to Royal Bodyguards in Spain, but cannot recall for sure the reference. The straight quillons recalling the familiar Spanish cuphilt of the 17th century, and seen on early 18th century swords of this type (also with the wire wrapped grip enclosed by four posts) that are likely associated with the M1728 military pattern, also bilobate with the four post grip.

The 'Sahagum' is of course a Solingen interpretation alluding to the Spanish smith, and as early as 1620's blades with this spurious application I believe were being sent to the Netherlands. I think this note was found in Norman as well, and with the Spanish presence there at the time this sounds very logical.

The scalloped guardopolvo is another possible Spanish feature in my opinion, as the striated clamshell is found often on the guards of Spanish edged weapons.

I'd really like to hear other opinions on this beautiful piece, but wanted to note my observations, which at this point would consider this a Spanish bilobate rapier, possibly an officers, and early 18th century. The clearly Solingen blade with that choice of trademark name may suggest this possibly has provenance to the Spanish Netherlands, and the faceted pommel may be a point of contention to dating the sword.

Thank you for posting this Atlantia, and I look forward to other views.

All the best,
Jim
Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote