View Single Post
Old 21st September 2008, 07:37 PM   #1
Atlantia

Default Spanish Rapiers, a Bilbo FYC.

Jim is doing a great job on this forum, and I am happy to add to the discussion of European swords with this:

Here is my favourite sword, my Bilbo.
I bought it about 15 years ago, and at the time it cost more than the car I drove. It came from a reputable dealer who dated it at 1580, which I think may have been a bit 'enthusiastic' and I'd say it could be anything up to mid 17thC. It is 41 1/2 " long overall with a 35" blade (visible edge).
The blade is marked: .S A H A G V N. in pig-latin, I don't see any great reason to doubt the German origin, but either way, its a fine blade. The entire piece is darkly mottled, I know many would clean it up, but I kind of like it this way. The hilt is wrapped with silver wire.
The larger shell is engraved with a large flower (sunflower?)
The small shell is engraved with what seems to be a 'closed' flower.
It has some contemporary 'working' repairs done, nothing serious, the shell is held in place by four steel pins. It looks as though the sword took a hard blow on one of the quillions and bent it and loosened the shell. The quillion has been straightened and as you can see is not quite round in section any more, the steel pins have been tightened and onein particular has 'punch' marks around it. This working repair has left the quillions about 5 degrees off of the right angle. I must admit, I kind of like this, and the various little 'knicks' in the edge, this sword was clearly used. I just wish I could identify the iconography of the flower emblems and if they represented the man/family/organisation that it was made for.

I'd love to hear the members opionions on this sword. Please be kind, its my pride and joy ;-)

Pictures:

Last edited by Atlantia; 21st September 2008 at 08:11 PM.
Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote