View Single Post
Old 23rd April 2008, 06:06 AM   #15
A. G. Maisey

G'day Bram,

yes, of course you are right in respect of the spelling, as I have already indicated in my previous post, however, my friend has said:- "---the sound is sloko---", he has not said that it should be spelt that way, and the sound is "sloko", it is not "slaka".

You are Javanese, and educated, you know when "a" should be pronounced "o", but any person from outside Jawa who reads "a" will pronounce "a". I understand full well the conventions of the current spelling, but I prefer to use old spelling where that will give a more accurate rendition for the western reader, thus I spell "warangka" as "wrongko", and "ganja" as "gonjo", and so on. In fact, I have been expressly warned by several people in Solo never to use the current spelling for gonjo, and I am sure you will understand the reason why.

As to whether the letters are textbook, or not, it depends upon one's textbook. I have several that I refer to, and to my untutored eye, the letters on this pendok can be interpreted in several ways. It would appear that at least two of my Solo contacts, both men in their forties, one associated with the kraton, had some similar problems. To you, the letters are textbook, but clearly your level of knowledge in this field is far greater than the level of knowledge possessed by those to whom I referred this matter. As for myself, well, I have already said that I cannot read honocoroko--- but using my text books I can often match characters in printed works and glean a meaning.I very often cannot do the same with handwriting.

The opinion that Javanese is a dying language is not mine, it is an opinion given by an academic in this field of language. Yes, again you are correct, the Javanese language is currently in a state of flux, and there can be no doubt that Javanese as Basa Daerah will always exist, but I believe that the academic who floated the "dying language" opinion was probably talking about formal Javanese as it has been spoken in the recent past.As we are both aware, any language that does not change dies, Javanese is changing, thus it will not die but its form in a few years time will be markedly different to the form of the recent past.

I would suggest that formal Javanese is already on its death bed. I know several people who send their children to teachers out in the desas to be taught correct Javanese. Why? Because they have been unable to find competent teachers closer to home.Even a few years back when my daughter was married, she married into a slightly aristocratic family, and in preparation for life within this family she had to be taught Krama Inggil, because she was unable to speak it. That's about 15 or so years ago now. (yes, yes, I know, my spelling is inconsistent)

However, all these niceties concerning the Javanese language have little to do with what Rick initially asked for:- a translation. And he's got that.

With respect,

Alan.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote