View Single Post
Old 18th March 2008, 04:58 AM   #6
Philip

Default A good time had by all / thoughts about our future

Many thanks to our two excellent speakers, Peter Dekker (visiting from the Netherlands, presenting on Qing archery) and our loyal forumite Jose Albovias (aka Battara) doing a lecture/demo on decorative metalwork on Philippine arms. Pity that we missed Artzi's talk on Chinese trousses for two years running, hope he can give it next year.

A good thing was that the pace of the evening was relaxed enough to allow for some lively shmoozing at the table displays. (BTW, the polearms in the pic are not Chinese, but are instead some pretty rare and fine Vietnamese examples brought by Nick Wardigo along with two very interesting rattan hats/helmets worn by troops of the Nguyen Dynasty).

I had suggested that the added free time be used for a "half time show" but the gent whose talent I had in mind (doing the Zulu war dance) demurred since he didn't bring the requisite costume and weaponry.

A cloud over the evening was the smallest attendance to date. Don't know if the auction across the aisle had anything to do with it, I don't intend to point fingers but we did have a few show attendees who inquired with us as things were being set up, but who opted for the sale instead. Mark launched a discussion about the seminar's future -- perhaps a rotating venue divorced from the Baltimore show, in various cities year-by-year so that members in diverse geographical areas can more conveniently attend. Perhaps use it to launch a show especially dedicated to ethno arms -- scholarship and horsetrading combined. We wrapped it up by agreeing to mull it over, and present it on this Forum for suggestions and comments by the membership at large. This program is just too good to let go down the tubes !!!
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote