View Single Post
Old 13th January 2008, 11:43 PM   #6
Raden Usman Djogja

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukuh
Dear Sir, Are you able to help me with some information about these keris.
I would like to know something more about the 1(?) luk shape.
What it's name, does it have a special meaning, and so on.
Thank you very much, Sukuh
dear Sukuh,

Perhaps, in general, your kerises are called luks 3 shape. in more specific, one is called shape of mahesa nempuh (if I am not mistaken) and one is called shape of kikik (small javanese wild dog) with luks 3 (if I am not mistaken either).

Special Meaning?

It can be special or it can be not. Depend on time and point of view.

For instance, in Indonesia, from 2008 to mids 2009, kerises which have shape as yours will be very special. Perhaps, luks 5 will be special too. So, dont be glad nor dont be upset if in recent days you will find kerises which, generally, have shape as yours.

If you inherit them from your ancestor, you take care of it as you have been doing. However, if you just got them days ago, perhaps, you may activate standard of procedure to verify your new belongings.

Perhaps, if you may, you can take pictures from lots of different angles including from above when kerises sheathed for knowing whether your sheaths are "randan" (widow) or original. The sheaths are beautiful gandariras. The kerises are now popular. If they come from the same place, simply they are perfect. However, if they come from different places (the keris uses randan/widow sheath), perhaps you should know the motives. Most probaly, the motive is to boost the dowry It is still accepted as far as no blade modification

If Someone has a wish he goes to Empu to commission a keris
Empu will make a keris as his master ordered
Usually, not always, the shape will represent the wish
Luks 3 is called Jinangkung (reached/achieved)
If lots of people have similiar wishes
Nowadays Empus will make kerises in advance, either NEW or ObN
They realize well market trend

Thats all for now Sukuh. Hope what I explain answering your query.

warm salam,

OeS from ngAfrica
Raden Usman Djogja is offline   Reply With Quote