View Single Post
Old 28th December 2007, 11:19 AM   #8
Tim Simmons

Question Other than Nepalese?

I have them now. I will show pictures of one as they are pretty much the same. I just need to add some more turquoise next week, the pieces I have to hand are to small. Forged blades, hollow ground on both sides, good temper. Steel guard, brass chape which has been quite well made with faceted thoughtfully. The metal ring under the guard is steel and made in a way I have not seen before on Nepalese weapons even the most crude Kukri.

One assumes these to be Nepalese but they could come from a vast area as discussed before all the way to Bengal? The materials and decoration could be common to many people. The blade is not tanged through the handle. The shape reminds me more of the handles on some Naga Dao. The Himalayan foot hills are home to many tribal groups. They have been well used and judging by the patina I would say turn of the 19th early 20th century. Somebody has taken great care of the blades. When I have sourced more stone I will have one spare if anybody is interested. Pictures-

Very interesting joint to the scabbard on the concave curve. Although these are not made with great finesse they are not crude and very comfortable to use, typical tribal work.

Last edited by Tim Simmons; 28th December 2007 at 11:47 AM.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote