View Single Post
Old 13th December 2007, 12:55 AM   #20
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

I agree Spiral, that varying degree of literacy and skill would certainly be a factor in the structure of the lettering, and I'm inclined to agree as well that this script seems more like the Dari you note. It is interesting that Dari was from what I understand a Persian based court language spoken in Afghanistan, and this blade seems to be of Persian form. In Egerton (#755, plate XV) there is a shamshir illustrated with remarkably similar blade, including a linear motif which cannot be clearly seen, but since it is a drawn illustration may well be the floral motif seen on Norman's blade. The widened yelman is also present. The shamshir is captioned as from Lahore, but of course since those of prominence in Indian courts favored Persian blades, this may be indicative of a blade form for Afghans in similar station.

It seems these characters in the inscription may be initials or abbreviated wording, name? I still feel the 'cintamani' symbol is intended with the marking to allude to Timurud ancestry, in the manner that certain symbols or marks might accompany someones personal autograph or marking.

Thanks very much Spiral for setting the course on this. Always a great learning experience!

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote