View Single Post
Old 5th December 2007, 01:58 PM   #39
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Marsh
I also appreciate Katana's comments as being the lucid and focused information I am seeking. I believe it was he who first pointed out the idea of this being themed on Hugo's "Hunchback of Notre Dame."

I hope that we can avoid acrimony and comments intended to be playfully sarcastic that got the previous thread about this dagger, closed.

I still don't believe it was designed as a satanic piece. Possibly pagan, but most likely a themed dagger as has been mentioned before. BUT it does have some symbolism, whether the creator intended it or was just copying ideas.

It also does have a certain presence that perhaps only Spiral and I can know, among us, since we have held it.

Certainly I would like to find deeper meaning in this piece, whatever its genesis. Whether it is a communication regarding the "K&C of the H.G.A." or we should ask Ozzy Osbourne for deeper meaning, I don't know. <very large grin intended here>

But I would appreciate more comments as to what historical, symbolical or literary ideas might be represented here. And if there are literary forums I might pursue regarding this, please let me know by PM or post here.

Two of the major questions I have regard first the angle of the neck.

It does seem to be broken. I have personally, though it may look a little strange, tried to mimic postures repeated in symbolic artifacts, like African figures, to try to gain a better understanding of what the creator (Small "c") intended. Holding your neck at this angle IS quite uncomfortable, so I am inclined to go with the idea of a broken neck, rather than 'affectionately looking at her goat.'

I like the idea of Esmeralda being modeled on "Agnes, the Lamb of God."

Second thing that I find quite curious is the orientation of the roofing tiles. This could indicate the scabbard was intended to be viewed point down. Possibly this is an error by the person who made it, perhaps intentional. Interesting slant.

I am very appreciative of all the comments here, but mostly those by Katana David. Please keep them coming.

Very well said and eloquently written Bill!!! and I could not agree more.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote