Thread: Bugis keris
View Single Post
Old 16th March 2005, 05:53 AM   #26
rahman

As a rank beginner, let me stir the pot a bit more

Bill -- you have what looks like a very sturdy blade, a sempana (9 luk) with Nguku Bima. There may have been rust but not heavy corrosion, I think, that would have caused the two holes. They may have been made deliberately.

I say this quire confidently because I have a similar blade, only with heavier corrosion but still sturdy enough with no holes.

I think the ganja is not original to the blade, judging from the gap between it and the blade and the sudden flaring at the aring.

I'm not sure if you have a central fuller (ada-ada) or is that a pamor line. If it's pamor, it would be called Nerjang Landep, a line that runs off track before reaching the tip. The esoterics will say it's a keris that brings a lot of misunderstanding and strife (see, it's already happening in this thread )

Again, those 2 holes may have a mystical function and I find it rare to find comboings with two holes, as most are really forging defects that cause a single crack or hole.

Regardless of its nationality I think you may have a keris with some mystical properties/functions.

I too was attracted to this keris when it was offered on e-bay -- until I saw the combong. Not my cup of tea.

The sampir is quite good with good grain. A good cleaning and a good waxing should bring this baby up.

All the best
rahman is offline   Reply With Quote