Thread: Another tulwar
View Single Post
Old 19th November 2007, 07:30 PM   #17
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Hi Jim,
Thanks a lot for your comprehensive input .
You and others will know better, but the purpose for the hole in current tulwar hilt finials is, or also is, that of fitting the hanging ring, for the use of a lanyard or the like.
As for my example, and to be precise, its finial is more a rectangular piece than a square one ... crudely made, so not impeaching the intention to have made it square. I wonder why it is split in two halves, at least in all its visible part.
In view of that, at first sight i don't see in this device a mechanical convenience for its dismounting by literaly turning it off. It could as well be embodied to the hilt, the disc and dome (pommel) being the moveable parts, both held by the dome, fixed by hammering ( welding ) it to the finial.
On the other hand, this assembly is restricted to the hilt per se, as the "hilting" of the tulwar is an operation that joins the blade with the allready set up hilt ... the tang not trespassing the whole grip, ending somewhere inside it.
As for marks, what i have in this specimen are certainly not explicit Ordenance marks, and maybe neither Armoury ones. Assuming they are not graphic symbols, they surely are intentional marks, with three repeated equal rows of dots ... not just steel or handling defects; possibly some maker's code ... what do i know.
I hope i made myself understood and with a low % of nonsense .
Kind regards
Fernando
PS
Here are pictures with different light ... and maybe some more accurate
Attached Images

fernando is offline   Reply With Quote