View Single Post
Old 3rd November 2007, 11:37 AM   #21
Gavin Nugent

Default Thanks everyone, I'm glad to see the Navaja is held with great respect.

Thanks guys, just a few random points and extras.

I will continue to work out the missing texts on the large blade and see what I work out. I can definitely see Moorish influences shine through with the decoration on this knife, hopefully I can source several more and have these framed up too.
Thanks Fernando, you were absolutely right about the word "Soy" it is partially hidden by the brass on the blade.

With regards to the framed collection and Chris's reply,

The top one is definitely Spanish from what Chris has pointed out, it has a square locking hole with a single notch, amazing craftsmanship when examined closely. The piecing together of this piece is absolutely precision engineering.

The Alvero Garcia blade appears to be 20th century with the further input from Chris as the blade is super smooth, but it is heavily etched and I can see light file marks on the non etched edges??????

The Navaja without a locking mechanism is identical in everyway to this ebay link below. This may help further identify it. The little cresent for the thumb nail is present as is the symbol shown above the initials, though it lacks a couple of those strokes either side and the circle in the middle is clearer on mine. I have heard of this referred to as a "sun burst crown". Every engraving on the end caps are identical too.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA:IT&ih=017

As for the junker with the fake mother of pearl grips, it also has a gorgeous file finished locking spring much like the large exhibition piece has on the blade, it also has a pipe tamper to the back of it, both the back spring and blade are reasonable carbon steel and the blade is very sharp, the fittings appear to be nickel wrapped around another type of steel on the end caps.

I am still not 100% convinced about the Toledo blade being very modern, there is nothing stamped about this navaja(to my eyes), it is all, what I believe, engraved, etched or chiselled, the lines are so crisp and delicate in many places. I do remember Laura from knifecollection some years ago put this around circa 1900-1910 as she too was watching the auction at the time and wanted to add it to her stock.

I have found several of these books you speak of Chris but have yet to purchase them.

Thanks heaps everyone, I'll get to adding some of my other little treasures in other posts, like my ivory and silver Dha with an Burmese made English clip point bowie blade, silver Tibetan dagger, sword canes, Chinese swords, Persian axes, dress swords and other stuff I have squirreled away here. It is great to be able to share these wonderful things with like minded people and learn more about what we all love.

Last edited by freebooter; 3rd November 2007 at 12:02 PM.
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote